.59 Cent Candle Causes over $300,000.00 in Damages

The Damages

 

The $301,102.44 damage to this one story, 4 bedroom, 2 ½ bath, 2,700 SF livable residential home with 3 car garage was caused by .59 cent votive candle that was left burning while the homeowner went to bed. 3 Years prior, the owner bought the home new. The owner who was very happy with her home wanted to have it rebuilt as was except for some minor change as a result, our strategy was to fast track the project without making her feel we were ramrodding it. We provided remodeling suggestions during the course of the project.

Challenges / Creative Solutions:

We received a unique and interesting request from the firefighting community that asked if they could utilize the home for a roof collapse test prior to demolition. We secured permission from the homeowner and explained that while providing an important public service, this would also cause a delay in the schedule. In gratitude for their initial firefighting efforts, she quickly agreed. We coordinated with the 6 municipalities and arranged for the test. The test was videotaped from multiple locations so that this information could be used in future training opportunities. 

 

Challenges / Creative Solutions

 

 

We received a unique and interesting request from the firefighting community that asked if they could utilize the home for a roof collapse test prior to demolition. We secured permission from the homeowner and explained that while providing an important public service, this would also cause a delay in the schedule. In gratitude for their initial firefighting efforts, she quickly agreed. We coordinated with the 6 municipalities and arranged for the test. The test was videotaped from multiple locations so that this information could be used in future training opportunities. 

 

Results

 

Partnering with 6 fire departments and giving back to the community by providing the opportunity to perform a roof collapse test on this severely fire damaged structure ultimately caused delays magnifying the importance of developing a solid relationship with good communication especially toward the end of this 6 month long project. Providing this community service was important to us as well as the homeowner and much appreciated by the fire departments.

 

In the end, this 3 year old home was fully restored incorporating both the desired changes by the homeowner as well as some additional enhancements that we suggested. 

 

© 2019 Kowalski Construction, Inc. 

info@kowalski.com  |  Tel: 602-944-2645  |  Fax: 602-944-6844

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon